UR Medicine Highland Hospital
UR Medicine Highland Hospital is a regional leader in specialties such as bariatric surgery, total joint replacement, geriatric care, gynecologic oncology, prostate cancer treatment, women's health services, and maternity.
- Able to support weights of up to 1,200 lbs., hospital beds range from 36” – 54” wide and 80” – 84” long — and weigh hundreds of pounds.
- The massive size of the beds severely limited the hospital’s ability to store unused beds in the currently available space.
- NFPA101 Life Safety Code regulations and safety concerns prohibited even temporary storage of beds in certain “open” areas.
- Review with hospital staff: storage limitations and space constraints, budget, safety and ergonomics, and expected return on investment.
- Developed several layout and design concepts directed at resolving the problem.
- Identified an ergonomic, safe, and expandable high-density vertical storage and retrieval system.
- Identified specialized vendor with a product able to support the massive size and weight of hospital bed inventory.
- Engineers and planners addressed the key storage problem, while staying within budget and ensuring not only the intended result, but the best value and return on investment.
- Tripled storage capacity from 4 to 12 beds, while reducing storage space utilized by 50%.
- Alleviated safety code concerns created by an overflow of beds, which the hospital was unable find storage for.